History of the House

 The house frame was assembled from Savernake Oak in 1316 and built as a large Hall House in the middle of the Forest with probably three large Base Cruck beams - one of which has survived almost complete. Most of the roof frame and one Aisle truss and heavy wind braces are all still in situ.

Special carbon dating was carried out by English Heritage, and an archaeological paper was written on the house when the Arabic Carpenters assembly marks were discovered.

Click to see a full archaeological report published by Wiltshire on special aspects of Westcourt Farm 

DSCF0571 stones

DSCF0564-1 c.marks

Shaped Stones from St Margarets Chapel 1000 years old

Arabic Carpenters Assembly Marks 
                                                                          
DSCF4069-1 landing

Base Cruck and heavy Windbraces on landing with modern post installed for support.

Telephone  01672871399 
Email: rozzieb@btinternet.com